7 Signs Mixed Reality is a Secret Game Changer Technology for Tech Startups: Augrealitypedia
Mixed reality ! Again a new terminology from the recent technological news. If you read my earlier posts, you must be aware of a very similar term, Augmented reality (AR). Today, I will discuss Mixed reality. And, I will let you know that how Mixed reality (MR) is a game-changing technology for tech startups like Magic Leap. First of all, I will explain two basic questions:- 1. What is Mixed reality? And 2. What’s the difference between Virtual reality, Augmented reality and Mixed reality? As the name suggest, Mixed reality (MR) is the merging (marriage) of Augmented reality (AR) and Virtual reality (VR). Sometimes, it’s also called as Hyper reality. The difference between the three can be easily explained using below table.
In the case of VR, you are completely isolated from the real world. So, you can’t interact with the real world. But, in the case of AR and MR, you are completely aware of your real physical world. Here, you can interact with both, virtual and the real world in the real-time. So, are AR and MR same? Many people use the term AR & MR interchangeably. But, these two terms (AR & MR) are different. In the case of AR, the interaction between virtual contents and the real world is not possible. But, in the case of MR, content from the virtual and the real world can interact with each other in the real-time. In more specific words, in the case of Mixed reality (MR), the virtual object is responsive in nature and an integral part of your real world.
Confused? Okay, let’s assume a virtual dog is hiding under your study table. You have to bend down to interact with it. When you bent down and call the virtual dog, it also responds to you. Thus, this is a Mixed reality (MR) as both are reacting and responding to each other. Whereas in case of Augmented reality (AR), the virtual dog is visible in the real-time but not responsive to you.
Well, now you are familiar with what is mixed reality and what’s the difference between Virtual reality, Augmented reality and Mixed reality. Let’s proceed to next section. Now, I will tell you how Mixed reality can do magic in our technological world.
- Must Read:- difference between AR and VR.
Start your journey with following 7 signs of “Mixed reality is a secret game-changing technology for tech startups”
Does Mixed reality seem very futuristic to you? No, I am not talking about any dream. MR is one of the emerging technologies in your digital world. #MixedReality: A secret #gamechangertechnology for #techstartups! secrets being disclosed here Click To Tweet
Sign#1: Major Contributors in the field of Mixed reality:-
1st sign to support my statement is that many companies and start-ups have already started developments in the Mixed reality market. Three of the major key players in the MR technology can be listed as below:-
- Magic Leap :- Magic Leap, the Florida-based start-up is working on some amazing aspects of Mixed reality. The company is ahead of other companies that have planned to use this amazing technology. It has called this technology as “Mixed Reality Lightfield”. The company has not yet disclosed so much about their plan & products. But, you can have a look at The untold story about Magic Leap posted on wired.com. Also, to feel the future of Mixed reality, don’t miss below video uploaded on YouTube by Magic Leap.
- Microsoft :- Microsoft has entered into Mixed reality market with its product, named Microsoft HoloLens. The company is using Windows Holographic platform for this headset. It has the plan to extend this platform for other VR/AR headsets also. You can imagine the level of involvement from Microsoft in the field of Mixed reality with their expectation of selling 80 million MR devices till 2020. Related Article:- Read All About Microsoft Augmented Reality in Next 15 Minutes.
- Canon Mixed Reality :- Canon U.S.A. inc has developed a Canon MREAL Systems. The system is specially developed for enterprise customers. One of the great use of Canon Mixed reality system is to visualize changes during prototype designing in Automobile industries. Apart from this, other uses include high-risk training and for the educational purposes.
Sign#2: Investments in the field of Mixed reality :-
A lot of big giant companies like Alibaba, Google, Facebook have shown interest in this game-changing technology. They have come forward and invested their money in start-ups. Few of these investments can be listed out as below:-
- In Feb 2016, one of the major Mixed reality company, Magic Leap has announced $793.5 million in their new funding. According to Magic Leap, their major investors are Alibaba, Google, Warner Bros., JPMorgan Chase & Co., Morgan Stanley Investment Management and Fidelity Management and Research Co.
- Social networking companies like Facebook and others are also investing in Mixed reality technology. You must have heard that Facebook has purchased one VR start-up, Oculus for $2 billion. Have a look on Mark Zuckerberg’s post on Facebook.
- In May 2016, a new start-up in the field of VR & MR, named SPACES has received a funding of $ 3 million. The company has a background in film-making and video games. It’s working with major VR & MR players, like Microsoft, Big Blue Bubble etc.
Sign#3: Mixed reality devices :-
The real power of this amazing technology can be observed with Mixed reality devices. Many companies are ready with their MR headsets for their enterprise customers or developers. Few of these MR devices can be listed out as below:-
- Microsoft HoloLens :- In Jan 2015, Microsoft has announced about one Augmented reality headset, named Microsoft HoloLens. With the help of this AR headset, you can have a digital information, images or holograms superimposed on your real view in the real-time. Development edition of HoloLens is already available on Microsoft website with a price tag of $ 3000.
- Meta 2 :- Meta 2 is an AR headset, manufactured by a Silicon Valley company, named Meta. Unlike other VR headsets, Meta 2 headset is having a pair of transparent glasses. It can superimpose holographic images on your real view in the real-time. Key features of this headset include the 90-degree field of view, a high-quality display with a resolution of 2560×1440, a 720p front-facing camera, 4 speakers near-ear audio with volume control. Also, it supports Windows applications. Interested? You can pre-order a Meta 2 AR headset with $949.
- Vrvana Totem :- Totem is an another AR headset, manufactured by VRVANA, a start-up company based in Montreal. This headset is mainly designed for enterprise customers. The key features of this headset include the 120-degree field of view and the front facing camera. You can read the full review of Vrvana Totem headset here.
Sign#4: Mixed reality Applications:-
Mixed reality can be used in various fields like Architecture, Engineering, Education, Construction etc. This game-changing technology has a potential to influence the complete designing process of any product.
- Mixed reality in Architecture :- Using Mixed reality technology, realistic 3D models can easily be superimposed on the real view of any under-constructed building. One of the global leaders in Architecture and design, named Gensler has collaborated with Trimble to use Trimble Mixed reality technology. Using Microsoft HoloLens and Trimble Mixed reality technology, you can interact with virtual 3D models of desired building element in the real-time. One of the main advantage of this technology is that you can control it remotely.
- Mixed reality in Engineering :- Mixed reality technology can be used in various field of engineering. Utilizing this amazing technology in Design and development domain, a lot of time and effort can be saved. One of the global Automobile leaders, BMW has introduced Mixed reality technology in their vehicle development program.
- Mixed reality in Education :- One of the most useful and creative applications of mixed reality is in the educational sector. By implementing MR in classrooms, students can learn their subjects with a lot of fun. Unlike in traditional method of teaching, students can visualize the 3D view or holograms right in front of their eyes. This will certainly provide them with a “wow” factor in their mind. So, no more mugging up now. TeachLivE and OneBook are the two recent examples of the use of MR in the educational sector. TeachLivE is a mixed-reality classroom whereas OneBook is a real book capable of superimposing any digital contents on it.
Sign#5: Mixed reality and Windows Platform :-
So far, I have discussed 4 signs of this emerging game-changing technology, i.e. Contributors, Investments, Devices, and Applications. But, one major sign (necessary for the growth of any technology) is still missing. Can you name it? Yes, right! The 5th one is inter-connectivity among different VR/MR devices. Microsoft has already grasped this opportunity. The company has invited other VR & MR manufacturers to use it’s Windows holographic technology. Thus, in future no matter which MR headset you own, you can easily interact with others using Windows Holographic platform. On the one hand, this will make Microsoft a winner in the race while on the other hand this will open a lot of business opportunity to grow for other VR/MR manufacturers. Many companies like Dell, Qualcomm, Lenovo, HP, HTC, and AMD are few initial partners of this Windows Holographic concept.
Due to the presence of Windows 10 operating system, common Windows applications like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft outlook and calendar are also available to use on HoloLens. Powering all VR/MR devices on Windows 10 operating systems will definitely make HoloLens and other MR headsets as a perfect productive tool for enterprise customers. Also, to feel the real power of Windows Holographic concept, don’t miss below video uploaded on YouTube.
Sign#6: Mixed reality, an opportunity for developers :-
Developers are the most important and responsible factor for growth of Mixed reality. And, they can contribute to improving/redesigning this game-changing technology. Major MR Headset manufacturers have already started shipment of the Development edition of their headsets. These MR headsets are specific for developers. Thus, this is the perfect time for them to use their experience, knowledge and skills to optimize this awesome technology. A number of Augmented reality apps are also available for support. Also, due to recent appeal from Microsoft, Windows Holographic operating system will soon be common for many VR/MR headsets. This would be a great opportunity for developers to develop apps compatible for a broad range of MR devices.
Sign#7: Mixed reality market (Current scenario & Future forecast) :-
This 7th sign is just a reflection (rather, I should say result) of the above 6 signs. So, how is the Mixed reality market? I am going to disclose this secret in two segments :-
- Mixed reality market in current scenario :- While Virtual reality has already entered into the consumer market (in the form of VR Headsets), Augmented reality & Mixed reality are still in their infancy stage. But, the good news is that it’s on the right track and gaining popularity at a very fast rate. Also, a number of Mix devices are ready to ship to developers or their enterprise customers.
- Future forecast for Mixed reality market :- Mixed reality market is expecting a significant growth in next 5 years. A market research report from MarketsandMarkets has estimated that the global Mixed reality market will tend to reach $453.4 Million by 2020 with a growth of 75.2 % (CAGR) between 2016 and 2020.
- Augmented Reality Marketing Strategies
- Tango Smartphones are the latest trends in Smartphone Technology.
Wrapping Up :-
Although Mixed reality is in its infancy stage, many signs clearly prove that it’s a game-changing technology for tech start-ups. The 7 signs i.e., Major contributors, Investments made, Development of devices, Mixed reality applications, Mixed reality and Windows Platform, The opportunity for developers, and Mixed reality market are the clear indicator for the growth of this emerging technology.
That’s all from my side. Thanks for your long patience to read the article completely. If you have enjoyed my blog post, don’t forget to share it with your friends. Also, to keep updated yourself with latest trends in the field of Augmented reality/Mixed reality, subscribe to my website. Additionally, you can visit my Facebook page and do follow @Augrealitypedia on twitter for the latest news in the MR/AR/VR and related field. If you have any other suggestions, leave them in comment section below. Also, if you wish to know anything more about AR/MR, feel free to write me. Thanks again for visiting! Waiting to connect with you in my next post…